Monday, June 3, 2013

1.6 Bark or Bite

A dog is barking. A motorcycle passes by. A pressure water hose is turned on. The water is being sprayed on something metallic. Footwear is splashing about the wet pavement.

My cousin's dog was lying down when I decided to pet it. It suddenly bit me. I pulled my arm away and it started to bark like crazy. My arm started to bleed a bit. I ran home and told my parents about it. They decided to send me to a "mangtatandok" which is an Ilocano term for someone who can get the rabies out of my system. My uncle assured my parents that the dog had his anti-rabies shots but my parents had me "tandok"-ed just to be safe. The mangtatandok was an old skinny man. He was wearing khaki shorts and a really old kamiso-de-chino. He sterilized a blade with alcohol and fire and cut open my bite a bit. He had a glass orb with a small opening and put some kind of alcohol or gin in it. He lit it on fire until smoke was inside and he put the orb opening on my bite to sip out the blood and rabies. It was like the process of ventosa. I wasn't allowed to take a bath for a day. I'm not entirely sure if that actually works because I still got anti-rabies shots for the next succeeding weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment